Sister Sydney Barber

Sister Sydney Barber
Sister Sydney Barber

Monday, September 12, 2016

ALOHA!

    Here are the highlights of this week:
  1. It is so country here! We see horses and cows every single day on the side of the road and all of the guys wear cowboy boots! It doesn't get any better than that!
  2. There is an investigator here who only speak Spanish. I have to brush up on my Spanish skills, but I was able to hold a VERY simple conversation with him. They seem pretty interested! I am excited to see them again... I pray constantly for the gift of tongues! Who knew that I would need to speak Spanish in Hawaii?
  3. We met a father and son on the street in Honoka'a. They are Filipino and SO sweet. They had taken the lessons before, but then their house burnt down, so they had to move while it is being rebuilt. They lost contact with the Sisters because of it. So, we are going to start teaching them again!
  4. Last Friday was my last Zone Conference. All of the departing missionaries bore their testimonies. I was one of them... I couldn't even talk. I just got choked up and stood there for a minute. It didn't even seem real.. I still feel like I am brand new in the mission..
  5. Sacrament meeting was amazing. A family who is moving away each spoke on families. There were a lot of people in the congregation who needed that topic to be spoke on. Then, one of the members who lost their father and daughter only two days apart, had time at the end to bear his testimony on the Plan of Salvation. It was a beautiful sacrament meeting. 
  6. The Bishop is awesome! A very humble man. We were talking to him about ward missionaries and we had a name we wanted to bring up (Brother Bungitak), but when we were asking him about who he felt would be good, he was quiet for a minute and then said, "Brother Bungitak would be great, wouldn't he?" So in tune. It was awesome. :)
  Something that has been on my mind lately is the principle of commitment. If you commit to do something, it is more likely that that thing will happen. There are so many people that we talk to who, when we extend commitments say, "I know that it is important, but I will not promise anything. I don't want to promise to do it, and then not do it." To me, that is so sad, because I know that if they do commit, that it will be so much easier to follow through, and as a result, receive blessings. I have committed to commit. I will commit to do the things that the Lord has asked me to do, and not think twice. 

  I love you all! I hope you have a safe and wonderful week!


Love, Sister Barber

No comments:

Post a Comment