Sister Sydney Barber

Sister Sydney Barber
Sister Sydney Barber

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

First week in the field!


Oh man! This week has been crazy! It has been wonderful though! Yesterday was holiday, so we didn't get to email, but we have some time today. I am just going to share some special experiences, because that's all i really have time for. First, I just have to say that I am very happy to say that I have lost weight since I have been here. Not gained. I know I have only been here for a week, but I am very optimistic. Our ward had a good mix of Hauli and Polynesian blood, but they are all wonderful. We have had dinner every night. My trick is to control what I eat for breakfast and lunch and then exercise. I have already lost ten pounds since being at the MTC. Anyways, I am healthy. My trainer, Sister Soriao is wonderful! She is from the Philippines. She is small and dark like me! Our district is great! We have four Elders and then Sister Soriao and me. The Elders remind me a lot of my friends from back home. They're really nice guys. The work is pretty slow here, but I am determined to change that. Our ward has so much potential to be fantastic missionaries. They are just a little shy when it comes to sharing the gospel. Sister Soriao said that they are supposed to have a Preach My Gospel class for the ward every week, but it is usually overlooked. Also, in ward counsel, one of the sisters brought up the idea of having a night where investigating children can come to take lessons from the missionaries, so they can understand a little bit better, so they will be more prepared for baptism. Bishop said that the children who are coming in for interviews have no idea about the gospel, so he has to make sure that they understand before they are baptized. When i heard these things, I told Sister Soriao that we are going to geth the Preach My Gospel class and the Primary Power class going. Her concern was that it would be too much for us, so I suggested that we combine with the other two wards in the building. That way, we have three sets of missionaries helping. When we are done, we will have three wards of missionaries, and the children will be more prepared for when it comes time for the baptismal interview. I really want to make this happen, and hopefully it will be effective, but we will see. As far as investigators, we don't have too many. We have a lot of less-active Members though. That is who we have been focusing on. My hope is that when they ward starts to become more confident in sharing the gospel, the fellowshipping will come too. The ward is great. I have faith in them. So, something cool! I have cousins in the ward! Kind of. I found out that one of the members is related to Lisa Keawekane!! They're cousins! That was way cool! They seem super nice, so it will be good to get to know them better. Also, a lot of people here know cousin Michelle. One guy went to school with her, and then Auntie Loke (one of the sisters in the ward) coached volleyball with her! It is so nice to feel that I have a huge family here already. Oh. Also, this is kind of funny. So, I found out on Saturday that the missionaries usually teach the gospel principles class. Well, I prepared a little, but I figured that Sister Soriao would take the lead. Here is the funny part: she never stood up. She had me teach the whole lesson by myself. haha yeah.... It was good though. I got to know the members better, and I learned a lot. Sister Soriao is the best. She has helped me grow a lot. Anyways, that's about all I have time for. I love you all! I will be sure to write more next week! Aloha!

 

Sister Barber

No comments:

Post a Comment