Sister Sydney Barber

Sister Sydney Barber
Sister Sydney Barber

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Aloah! May 24

ALOHA!
   So much happened last week that I don't even know where to start!
  1.  We went to the temple on Tuesday, which was fabulous! It is always such a great day when we can go to the temple. 
  2. We weren't able to see as many people as we had hoped. Everyone was so busy! Most of them were either not home, or they told us that they were too busy to meet with us. However, we did receive some referrals, so we were able to contact them all a lot sooner, because our appointments fell through. Most of the referrals we received ended up being people who weren't really interested, but there was this one family that seemed really excited to see us, and who invited us to come back today. 
  3. Something really cool that happened: Sister Whipple got a referral from her sister, who served in Guam (Chuukese speaking), for a member, with the name of Doniba, that moved to Hawaii from Guam. We went to go contact her, but the building she lives in is one of the buildings where you have to have them buzz you in. So, We stood there trying to buzz in, but no one answered. So, Sister Whipple tried calling the number that her sister gave us. While she was calling, there was a woman who was going into the building. She asked if we needed in and we said yes. Then I said thank you in Chuukese. She turned and looked at us with this surprised expression and then looked at our name tags and asked if we were "mormon missionaries." We told her that we were and she said that her mom has been looking everywhere for mormon missionaries. Sister Whipple asked what her mom's name was and she said, "Doniba." Oh man. We were so excited. We told her that that was who we were looking for. She told us that Doniba is in Chuuke, but that she wants us to teach her and her children the lessons. If that isn't a miracle, I don't know what is. :) So amazing.
  4. Sister Jolley and her companion got to stay with Sister Whipple and me last night, because they had MLC! It was SO amazing to be able to catch up with her! I am going to miss having her in the mission, for sure! 
  5. In Kahala ward, it is ASL speaking as well as an English ward. There is a senior couple named the Krakowiaks, who are deaf and who have been helping out a lot with the deaf group. The thing is, the Krakowiacs leave the same week that Sister Whipple leaves. The Kahala ward members keep telling me that I am going to need to pick up where they left off with my new companion... I am really excited, because it is such a great opportunity to learn some sign language and try something new, but man am I terrified. We will practically be covering two language wards. I kind of hope that I can just stay in this ward for my last 4 transfers so that I can learn Chuukese and Sign language, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I just hope that I can help with what ever needs to be done. I know that Heavenly Father will help my new companion and I. I just need to make sure that we continue to work hard and are diligent in all that we do to help with the work. 
Well, that is all I have time for this week. I love you all so much! Thank you again for all of your prayers and support.


Love, Sister Barber


No comments:

Post a Comment